Follow our journey to restore the retreat of America's beloved author
Max Whitson built a log house on his family's property near Oteen, NC in 1924. He invited his childhood friend and classmate from the University of North Carolina, renowned novelist Thomas Wolfe, to stay in the cabin in the summer of 1937 which was then about five miles from town but now within city limits. There, despite the interruptions of visitors wanting to see the famous author, he worked on revising “The Party at Jack’s”. The Wolfe Cabin was designated a Local Historic Landmark by city ordinance in 1982, in recognition of Wolfe's time at the Cabin and its association with Wolfe's writing and his final visit to Asheville.
Thomas Wolfe Cabin
The cabin originated as a simple two room structure, featuring a front porch and rustic barked log posts and railing, a large front room with bare log walls and a cobblestone fireplace.
The Moyer Cedar Log House
In 1960 John Moyer purchased the property and by 1977 had built a new ranch house. PSABC intends to restore this house for repurposing to serve in conjunction with a writer's residence program.
The Wolfe Cabin Site is located on a 38.89 acre, city owned parcel on Azalea Road in East Asheville. The lot retains the private and secluded feeling that was noted by Whitson and visitors at the time of Wolfe's residency.